Day 2: 8:00 AM – 9:00 AM
|Day 2: 8:00 AM – 9:00 AM|
|Original air date||October 29, 2002|
|Written by||Joel Surnow and Michael Loceff|
|Directed by||Jon Cassar|
|Previous episode||Day 1: 11:00 PM – 12:00 AM|
|Next episode||Day 2: 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM|
Day 2: 8:00 AM – 9:00 AM is episode 1 of Season 2.
 Episode Guide
Day 2 begins 18 months after the events of Day 1, with a man being interrogated in Seoul, Korea. He gives up information that is immediately relayed back to Eric Rayburn at the National Security Agency. Minutes later, back in the USA in Oregon, President Palmer is alerted of a situation that needs his attention as he and his son Keith are hurried away from their fishing escapade. Once arriving at the Operations Complex (OC) he is alerted along with Lynne, Palmer's Chief aid, that a nuclear device is being held in Los Angeles and could go off today.
Jack has left CTU since his wife's murder and has grown distant from his daughter. He goes to visit Kim at her new job as a house sitter but is told that she cannot handle seeing him since it is very painful on her emotionally. He leaves and heads home where he receives a phone call from the President. Palmer tells Jack that there is an urgent crisis impending upon the country and that he should head back to CTU to get more information. Once arriving, Jack is informed by George Mason, head of CTU, and Tony Almeida that there is a nuclear device set to go off in Los Angeles. Jack tells Mason to bring in Marshall Goren, who is a witness in a trial case against a man possibly involved with the terrorist cell, Joseph Wald.
During this time, Reza Naiyeer is planning his wedding with his fiancee Marie Warner at her father's estate. Kate, Marie's sister, is suspicious of Reza and has an investigator do a background check on him. She receives a phone call later and is told that Reza has had financial dealings with a known terrorist.
The episode draws to a close as Marshall Goren arrives and Jack interrogates him hoping to find out some info. Goren is cocky and won't give anything up, so Jack pulls out his gun and blows him away, leaving his body dead in Mason's office.
- Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer
- Sarah Wynter as Kate Warner
- Elisha Cuthbert as Kim Bauer
- Xander Berkeley as George Mason
- Carlos Bernard as Tony Almeida
- and Dennis Haysbert as David Palmer
 Guest Stars
- Vicellous Shannon as Keith Palmer
- Reiko Aylesworth as Michelle Dessler
- Skye McCole Bartusiak as Megan Matheson
- Billy Burke as Gary Matheson
- Timothy Carhart as Eric Rayburn
- Michelle Forbes as Lynne Kresge
- Sara Gilbert as Paula Schaeffer
- Laura Harris as Marie Warner
- Tracy Middendorf as Carla Matheson
- Phillip Rhys as Reza Naiyeer
- John Terry as Bob Warner
- Tamlyn Tomita as Jenny Dodge
- Jim Abele as Ralph Burton
 Background Information and Notes
- This episode is the season premiere of 24's second season. It aired without commercial interruption. The total running time is about 51 minutes. All subsequent airings were edited to add commercial breaks.
- Xander Berkeley and Carlos Bernard are promoted to main cast members after having recurring roles in Season 1. Sarah Wynter also joins the main cast.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Reiko Aylesworth as Michelle Dessler.
- This episode was one of two that circulated among Emmy voters.
- The "Hacksaw" line was originally supposed to be taken out by Fox executives. It stayed, obviously, and became one of the show's memorable lines.
- During the final split-screen of the episode, Gary Matheson can be heard saying "Yeah, I know it's a Saturday". This confirms that Day 2 starts on a Saturday and ends on a Sunday and would explain why Megan Matheson isn't in school.
- George Mason's cynical remark that he should be in Washington DC by now is an allusion to the promise David Palmer had made to him at in Day 1: 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM: "Within the first month of my term I'll instate you in a high-level position in Washington. You'll bypass five years of middle management."