Day 1: 4:00 AM – 5:00 AM
|Day 1: 4:00 AM – 5:00 AM|
|Original air date||December 11, 2001|
|Written by||Chip Johannessen|
|Directed by||Winrich Kolbe|
|Previous episode||Day 1: 3:00 AM – 4:00 AM|
|Next episode||Day 1: 5:00 AM – 6:00 AM|
Day 1: 4:00 AM – 5:00 AM is episode 5 of Season 1.
 Episode Guide
Jacks attempts to interrogate the prisoner are hampered by George Mason, but Jack finds that he must break the prisoner out to have any lead on where Kim is. Jack stages two scuffles and gets the prisoner a key card to escape. He arrives at a payphone ready to trace the call only for the call to come in on a cell phone. The prisoner is instructed to dispose of a mystery body. David Palmer talks to the journalist who is threatening to leak the story about his son and is presented with the evidence.
- Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer
- Leslie Hope as Teri Bauer
- Sarah Clarke as Nina Myers
- Elisha Cuthbert as Kim Bauer
- and Dennis Haysbert as David Palmer
 Guest Stars
- Michael Massee as Ira Gaines
- Daniel Bess as Rick Allen
- Matthew Carey as Dan Mounts
- Vicellous Shannon as Keith Palmer
- Jacqui Maxwell as Janet York
- Karina Arroyave as Jamey Farrell
- John Hawkes as Greg Penticoff
- Xander Berkeley as George Mason
- David Barrera as Phillips
- Tanya Wright as Patty Brooks
- Glenn Morshower as Aaron Pierce
- Megalyn Echikunwoke as Nicole Palmer
 Special Guest Stars
 Background Information and Notes
- The flashes in this episode's "Previously on 24" are the same as the ones in Day 1: 2:00 AM – 3:00 AM, including the clip from this episode with George Mason and Sgt. Newman trying to track Jack and Greg Penticoff on the satellite.
- Despite being credited, Karina Arroyave's character Jamey Farrell does not appear in this episode.
- When David Palmer goes into Keith's room at 4:40 AM, his bedside clock says 4:57 AM.
- Ira Gaines gives the license plate of the car as "782 MOF" when it was really "528 MOF." Somehow Jack still found it.